3 Simple Steps
step one: Select the best qualified firm
- Decide if competitive selection is desirable or required
- Establish evaluation criteria
- Solicit statements of qualifications from interested firms
- Develop a short-list of 3 to 5 firms, investigate references, results of previous work, develop questions that will be asked of all firms that are interviewed and invite the firms on the short-list for interviews.
- Rank the firms based on all information received
step two: Jointly define scope of services and contract form, taking advantage of the experience of the selected firm
- Invite the highest ranked firm to assist in defining the scope of services. These discussions should include the Owner's goals and concepts for the project, the designers approach to the project as well as any alternatives which should be considered.
- Establish contract form
- Reach agreement of scope of services and contract form. If agreement can not be reached, return to the beginning of Step 2 and proceed with the next highest ranked firm.
step three: Retain the firm on the basis of an acceptable proposal
- Ask for a fee proposal for the agreed scope of services and contact form.
- Reach agreement on fee. If an agreement can not be reached on the fee, return to the beginning of Step 2 and proceed with the next highest ranked firm.
- Retain the firm and enter into written contract.